The West Linn Public Library is a vibrant and vital part of life in West Linn. Positioned to meet the educational, informational, cultural and recreational interests of the public, the library provides free and open access to a wide variety of materials and programs.
Since opening its doors in 1939 with a collection of 350 books and two magazine subscriptions, the West Linn Public Library has grown with the West Linn community and is now a welcoming 28,000 square foot facility with two public meeting rooms, a public art gallery, two computer labs and wireless access throughout the building. The library collection includes print and online resources, including more than 113,000 materials in a wide variety of formats, 279 periodical subscriptions, and 38 licensed databases.
The current Library Director is Holly Mercer.
March 1, 1939: The new West Linn Library opens on the second floor of the City Hall building (now the police station) with a collection of 300 books.
March 30, 1965: The City makes plans for a new 7,000-square-foot library building on city-owned property at West A Street and Willamette Falls Drive, but the bond measure fails to pass. A second attempt on the May 28 ballot also fails.
October 1978: The library moves out of City Hall and into the 1,500-square-foot community room at the Bolton Fire Station.
March 31, 1987: Voters approve a $1.2 million bond proposal to finance construction of the city’s first dedicated library building.
April 1988: West Linn City Council approves a resolution authorizing the purchase of a 1.5-acre piece of land on Burns Street.
December 1988: Crews break ground on construction of the new library building.
December 1989: The new 10,000-square-foot library opens to the public.
May 2000: Voters approve a $3.9 million bond measure to remodel and expand the library.
June 2001: The library moves to temporary quarters at Bolton Elementary School while the library building is remodeled.
June 2002: The newly remodeled and expanded 28,000-square-foot library re-opens to the public.
Read a history of the library  compiled by volunteer Alan Lewis.