January 13, 2009
Location: West Linn City Hall, Council Chambers
CALL TO ORDER
Troy Bowers, President of the Sunset Neighborhood Association (SNA), called the meeting to order at 7:05 p.m.
11 members and 2 guests present.
Minutes of the previous meeting September 9, 2008 were available and approved.
City of West Linn – NA Stipend Account 2008/09
Opening balance New Fiscal Year Budget
(July ’08 – June ‘09) $1,500.00
07/01/08 Carry over from0 7-’08 4.44
10/04/08 Clean Up Day Expenses (Dumpster Day) -130.00
01/13/09 Closing balance - January 2009 $ 1,374.44
SNA – Discretionary Funds (July’08 - June’09)
07/01/08 Closing balance – June $ 552.21
09/09/08 Meeting refreshments - 10.00
10/04/08 Dumpster Day Donations 41.00
01/13/09 Closing balance – January 2009 $ 583.21
1. Police Neighborhood Liaison: Neil Hennelly spoke about Lock-it-or-Lose-it Program that attempts to educate neighbors about keeping their car doors locked and valuables out of the car or out of sight. A Sunset neighbor called police with a license plate number of a car on Imperial Drive that looked suspicious. It turned out to be thieves who had stolen items from approximately 40 cars. The moral of the story: if something looks suspicious or is out of order, contact the police. Mr. Hennelly is hoping the bonds for new police station will pass. We have a minimum of three officers on duty at all times. City Hall would be the command center in case of a catastrophic emergency. Concern was brought up about the city-wide snow plowing effort. He reported we have only four snow plows.
2. Water Department: Jim Whynot gave a 16 minute video presentation titled “Liquid Assets” developed by Penn State University. The topics covered water systems and the associated contaminations resulting from intermixing of sewer water. Our nationwide water infrastructure is deteriorating and is in need of repair – modernization. West Linn obtains its water from the South Fork Water Board – water intake is Clackamas River. We have an intertie with Lake Oswego for backup. Goal is to expand the Bolton water reservoir located on Skyline Drive. Our water today is very clean and 26 samples are taken each month.
1. Dumpster Day: Saturday, October 4th at Sunset Park - two dumpster were filled, it was a success.
2. SNA Neighborhood Plan: Completed last September, endorsed by the Planning Commission in October, and approved by the City council in December.
1. SNA Plan: Doug Vokes was appointed to be the Work Plan Committee Chairman. This committee will set priorities and begin working with the city planning staff to implement the various aspects of the plan.
2. Sunset School: A motion was passed to appoint Troy Bowers to be the Sunset School/District Liaison. In this capacity, he will be our contact with the district regarding the issues pertaining to Sunset School. Concern was expressed at the meeting regarding what would happen if we delayed getting involved, and that we should be proactive in an effort to make sure that our voices are heard.
3. Miscellaneous: A motion was passed to have Troy send a letter and an email to the city thanking them for their support during the past year.
4. Fourth Annual Summer Picnic – June 2009: A motion was passed to hold another picnic this year. Details forthcoming. Shauna Shroyer and Doreen Vokes volunteered to co-chair this year’s event.
With no further business before the SNA, the President adjourned the meeting at 9:01pm.
**Next meeting will be held in Tuesday, April 14, 2009 at city hall – 7pm.**
Respectfully submitted by Doreen Vokes, Secretary of the SNA.
President, Troy Bowers 503-703-7303 email@example.com
Vice President, John Sramek 503-320-2077 firstname.lastname@example.org
Secretary/Treasurer, Doreen Vokes 503-650-2072 email@example.com
For association info and meeting minutes, or for general city information, visit www.westlinnoregon.gov ***please note new web site address***