The City of West Linn is seeking proposals and cost estimates from consulting firms for public opinion research services including, but not limited to: questionnaire design assistance, data collection, data tabulation, and reporting and presentation.
West Linn is located in Clackamas County, approximately 20 miles south of the City of Portland. It is a residential community with a population of approximately 25,000 people. The City is interested in conducting a survey to collect objective data on citizen satisfaction and attitudes toward the level and quality of City services; the general quality of life in West Linn; and emerging community issues, particularly related to infrastructure investment. The selected consultant will work closely with key City staff and the City Council to develop the survey questions.
The City Council is embarking on a “Listening Tour” in October/November 2011 at which each council member will attend a facilitated community forum to gather qualitative data; these “Listening Tour” results will be presented concurrently with the quantitative data gathered from the survey.
Scope of Work
The scope of work to be performed by the Consultant will include, but is not limited to the following:
1. Work with staff and the City Council to design and prepare a survey instrument.
2. Survey questions should build off of similar surveys conducted in 2008 and 2010, available online here.
3. Collect survey data by conducting a series of interviews. It is assumed that telephone interviews will be conducted; however, the City of West Linn is amenable to alternative data collection strategies (e.g. web and email) as suggested and justified by the Consultant.
4. Perform an independent analysis of the obtained data.
5. Tabulate survey results by a variety of criteria including demographics, the length of residency, area of residence within the City, and other identified criteria.
6. Provide a written report of the findings of the survey. The report should include: an executive summary; a detailed discussion of the findings; cross-tabulations of findings; graphs and tables to illustrate results; and summary of results and key findings. Trend analysis using the 2008 and 2010 survey results should be included.
7. Provide an oral report and presentation to the City Council summarizing the survey results at an upcoming City Council goal setting retreat, tentatively scheduled for February 2012.
The Consultant shall be responsible for securing any and all information, facilities, and other materials necessary for completing this project. A City staff person will be available at all times for Consultant’s questions and information requests.
Each proposal shall contain the following information:
1. A general description of the range of relevant activities performed by the Consultant, including experience in performing opinion surveys for public agencies.
2. The name, address, and telephone number of three references for which the Consultant has performed public opinion survey services. At least one reference should be from a municipality.
3. A not-to-exceed figure to perform the scope of services listed above. Include, if applicable, hourly rates to perform work and a fee schedule for reimbursable expenses.
4. An explanation of the approach and methodology used to perform the scope of work outlined above. Include the organization of project personnel and any additional assistance needed from outside sources.
5. Any other information about the Consultant that you believe would be applicable to this project.
Schedule & Due Date
It is anticipated that questionnaire development will occur in the November/December 2011 timeframe. Survey data should be collected shortly after the holiday season, with the written report of survey findings due by January 31, 2012.
The Consultant shall submit email copies of the proposal no later than 4:00 p.m. on Tuesday, November 1, 2011. No hardcopy or faxed materials will be accepted. Please submit proposals to:
Chris Kerr, Acting Assistant City Manager: email@example.com 
Selection of Qualified Consultant
The City shall select a consultant for this project based on a combination of factors, such as:
• Responsiveness and comprehensiveness of the proposal with respect to this RFP;
• Past experience with similar projects;
• Approach to this particular project;
• Information obtained from references; and
• Consultant’s proposed cost to perform the scope of services.
The City reserves the right to reject any proposal and may elect to make a decision without further discussion or negotiation. This solicitation is not to be construed as a contract of any kind. The City is not liable for any costs or expenses incurred in the preparation of responses to this RFP, and may withdraw or modify this request at any time. The consultant selected for this project will be required to enter into a Professional Services Letter of Agreement with the City of West Linn.
Any questions regarding this Request for Proposals should be directed to Chris Kerr at firstname.lastname@example.org  or 503-657-0331.