West Linn is located in Clackamas County, approximately 20 miles south of the City of Portland. It is a residential community with a population of approximately 25,000 people. The City is interested in conducting future surveys to collect objective data on topics including: citizen satisfaction and attitudes toward the level and quality of City services; the general quality of life in West Linn; emerging community issues, particularly related to infrastructure investment; communications and outreach; and other trending topics as determined by the City Council and staff. .
Summary of Request
The City of West Linn is seeking responses from qualified consulting firms that are interested in receiving and responding to future Requests for Proposals (RFPs) for public opinion research services including, but not limited to: questionnaire design assistance, data collection, data tabulation, web surveying, and reporting and presentation. The City seeks to establish a short list of not more than three qualified consultants. The distribution of future RFPs for these type services will be limited to the consultants identified as most qualified through their submissions to this RFQ.
Following the City's selection of short listed consultants, the City will negotiate separate Personal Service Agreements for specific projects, or a Purchase Agreement when appropriate. Each Agreement will identify the type of services, work scope, fee, and terms of payment for services. For specific projects, the City may determine that additional expertise is required, and the City can elect to augment consultant teams to cover all required areas of expertise. The City views its relationships with consultants as a partnership; thus, selected consultants will be expected to participate and work with City staff and the City Council to develop the appropriate survey tools.
This request is advertised and noticed with the specific statement that:
• RFPs will be distributed only to the firms selected in the RFQ process.
• The City will distribute RFPs to the selected firms without further advertisement of the solicitation.
A copy of the contracts the selected contractor will be required to sign if they undertake a project are available online as a sample. The contract terms will include the scope of services and any special terms and conditions. The contracts are not negotiable. Submission of a response constitutes agreement to the terms of the contract.
Duration of Request for Qualifications
This list generated from the responses to this RFQ shall be utilized for public opinion research services for a period of five (5) years.
The minimum qualifications for selected public opinion research firms include the following:
• Five (5) or more years in the public opinion polling business;
• Experience performing opinion surveys for municipal agencies;
• Familiarity with phone and web-based polling techniques;
• Knowledge of quantitative and qualitative research methods for public sector agencies.
Possible Scope of Work for Future Projects
The scope of work to be performed by the Consultant may include, but is not limited to the following:
1. Work with staff and the City Council to design and prepare survey instruments.
2. Use trend data from prior year surveys for reports and information sharing.
3. Collect survey data by conducting a series of telephone interviews.
4. Collect survey data by using web and email data collection tools.
5. Coordinate and run focus groups.
6. Perform an independent analysis of obtained data.
7. Tabulate survey results by a variety of criteria including demographics, the length of residency, area of residence within the City, and other identified criteria.
8. Provide written reports of the findings of surveys. Reports should include: an executive summary; a detailed discussion of the findings; cross-tabulations of findings; graphs and tables to illustrate results; and a summary of results and key findings.
9. Provide an oral report and presentation to advisory groups, elected officials, and staff summarizing the survey results.
The Consultant shall be responsible for securing any and all information, facilities, and other materials necessary for completing projects contracted for pursuant to this RFQ.
The City will provide the following services for projects contracted for under this RFQ:
1. Establish the scope of work for the particular project, including any necessary standards or expected work products.
2. Provide a City staff person to provide coordination between the consultant and the City and answer Consultant’s questions.
3. Make survey data available and respond to consultant’s information requests.
Each response to this request shall contain the following information:
1. A general description of the range of relevant activities performed by the Consultant, including experience in performing opinion surveys for public agencies.
2. The name, address, and telephone number of three references for which the Consultant has performed public opinion survey services. At least one reference should be from a municipality.
3. An explanation of the approach and methodology used to perform the scope of work outlined above. Include the organization of project personnel and any additional assistance needed from outside sources.
4. Any other information you believe would be applicable to demonstrate your qualifications for this RFQ.
5. A current rate sheet to perform work and a fee schedule for reimbursable expenses. (Updated rate sheets shall be provided in individual RFP responses, if the firm is placed on the City’s short list of consultants).
Selection of Qualified Consultants
The City shall select consultants in the RFQ process on a combination of factors, such as:
• Responsiveness and comprehensiveness of response to this RFQ;
• Past experience with similar projects;
• Approach to West Linn’s needs;
• Information obtained from references; and
• Consultant’s proposed cost to perform the scope of services.
The City reserves the right to reject any proposal and may elect to make a decision without further discussion or negotiation. This solicitation is not to be construed as a contract of any kind. The City is not liable for any costs or expenses incurred in the preparation of responses to this RFQ, and may withdraw or modify this request at any time. The consultant selected for this project will be required to enter into a Professional Services Letter of Agreement with the City of West Linn.
Response Due Date
The Consultant shall submit electronic copies of the proposal no later than 4:00 p.m. on Friday, September 20, 2013. No late responses, hardcopy or faxed materials will be accepted. Please submit proposals to: Kirsten Wyatt, Assistant City Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org. The City anticipates commencing work on a telephone and web based survey in Fall 2013, with expected survey findings due to the City Council in early 2014. Additional work, as allowed per this request, will be noticed to the qualified firms.
Any questions regarding this Request for Qualifications should be directed to Kirsten Wyatt, Assistant City Manager at email@example.com. If necessary, interpretations or clarifications responding to questions will be made by issuing an “Addendum” to all prospective Respondents within a reasonable time prior to closing of the RFQ, and at least 72 hours before the RFQ closing. Only questions answered by formal written addenda will be binding. Oral and other interpretations or clarifications will be without legal effect.