In honor of Veteran's Day the West Linn Public Library is hosting a Letter Drive through the month of November. We encourage library patrons and West Linn citizens to write a quick note of thanks to our deployed troops, veterans, wounded warriors, and first responders for their service to this country. We will send the letters out through Operation Gratitude, who have sent over 846,000 care packages to deployed troops.
Bring your letter to the library any time between Thursday, November 1 and Friday, November 30.
Don't know where to start?
- Start your letter with a salutation, such as "Dear Service Member" or "Dear Hero."
- Express your thanks for their selfless service. Be positive, upbeat, and thankful.
- Avoid politics completely and religion in excess; however, saying you pray for them is wonderful.
- Share a little about yourself. Talk about life back home, including sports, weather, pets, family, hobbies, music, and movies.
- Ask questions; however, do not discuss death or killing.
- Ask yourself: Will this letter bring a smile to someone's face?
- Adults: Include your contact information (mail or email) so the recipient may reply.
- Children: FIRST NAMES ONLY and no addresses please.
- Make sure letters, artwork, and greeting cards are free or in unsealed envelopes--they will be screened.
- Still can't find the words? Consider drawing or painting a picture instead. (Please avoid glitter.)