You are here
Council Goals & Department Updates
This page includes periodic updates on City Council goals and Department Updates.
YEAR END CITY COUNCIL GOALS WRAP UP
• The Parks & Recreation Advisory Board, Transportation Advisory Board, Planning Commission, and City Council all approved the West Linn Trails Master Plan. Now, the Trails Plan will be referred to the Transportation Advisory Board to develop criteria and prioritize the trails as funds are available.
• The City Council, with the support of the Citizens Budget Committee approved a significant increase the street maintenance fee this year. That increase will allow us to have adequate street maintenance resources to maintain and fix West Linn’s roads.
• The City received a $140,000 Transportation Growth Management grant for developing a new Transportation System Plan. Now, expect a significant outreach effort to engage residents!
• City staff applied for and received the CET grant from Metro for $220,000 to master plan the Arch Bridge area in West Linn. LMN Architects will work with City staff in 2014 to engage the community and develop a plan for this important area on the Willamette River.
• Started “Business Community Updates,” a targeted email newsletter, and developed a LinkedIn group for West Linn businesses.
• Worked with Greater Portland Inc. and Clackamas County on Strategic Employment and Industrial Lands Inventory to identify potential sites and obstacles to development. Also developed a unified film permitting system to encourage television and film production in West Linn.
• Held 25 one-on-one business to business interviews to solicit feedback and provide assistance to local businesses, and highlighted these meetings in the West Linn Tidings.
• City staff continues to work with a diverse, interested group of citizens on their preferences and wishes for the Blue Heron site on the Willamette River.
• Staff also continues to work with Clackamas County to learn more about the natural site limitations and opportunities. It is anticipated that more progress will be made on this project in 2014.
• The Centennial events were well received and, particularly the Music in the Park concert and birthday party in August. Special thanks to the Centennial Committee for their stellar work.
• The Council redesigned the City seal for the Centennial Celebration.
• The Council also awarded the first Robert Moore Award to Alex Kachirisky—a notable way to provide citizen recognition in our Centennial year.
• On November 18, 2013 the Council approved the franchise agreement that will provide West Linn with $5 million from LOT. The Council designated those funds for the Bolton reservoir project which will result in the City having secured approximately 75% of the resources necessary to complete that significant, important project for West Linn’s water supply.
• Staff is updating the Water Fund projections and will request a recommendation from the Utility Advisory Board regarding future water rates.
• Public Works staff continues to take part in community water education outreach including participation in a recent field trip to City Hall by Trillium Creek Primary School students.
• This ballot measure was not approved by the voters in November 2013.
• Thanks to the community volunteers who worked on this item. A discussion on this topic has been ongoing for decades. We appreciate your dedication to the health of our community.
Happy New Year: The City Council will determine goals for 2014 on January 3 & 4. Please contact the Council with your ideas or suggestions!