You are here
Sunset Neighborhood Association Meeting Minutes
March 11, 2008
Location: West Linn City Hall, Council Chambers
CALL TO ORDER
Doug Vokes, President of the Sunset Neighborhood Association (SNA), called the meeting to order at 7:05 p.m.
36 members and 7 guests present.
Minutes of the previous meeting January 8, 2008 were available.
City of West Linn – NA Stipend Account 2007/08 Opening balance New Fiscal Year Budget (July ’07 – June ‘08) $1,500.00 09/10/07 Flyer notice for September meeting (approx) - 155.00 January balance $1,345.00 12/26/07 Meeting sign holders (4) - 120.00 Closing balance $1.225.00 SNA – Discretionary Funds Opening balance $ 602.07 01/08/08 Meeting refreshments - 11.00 02/13/08 Real estate boxes (2) - 33.90 Closing balance $ 557.17
1. Neighborhood Plan: We are having monthly task force meeting at West Linn City Hall (SNA neighbors welcomed) and there will be a questionnaire sent out to residents in Sunset Neighborhood regarding their interests and concerns. The next SNA meeting on May 13th will focus mainly on the neighborhood plan.
2. Sunset Park playground equipment: The new equipment should be arriving in April. We may need to set up a work party to help with installation.
1. SNA summer picnic – June 22, 2008: The time will be 1-4pm at Sunset Park, we are making preliminary plans. At this point the band GlobalFM has agreed to play again this year. We will be contacting the Lions to see if they can come and serve their Lion burgers. A sign-up sheet will be available for volunteers at our next meeting.
2. Sunset Primary School – upcoming bond issue: After our SNA meeting on January 8th, we felt that more discussion was needed on the Sunset school issue. One of our concerns was that the opinions of the residents of the Sunset Neighborhood were not expressed. Therefore a petition was established, and volunteers canvassed from door to door. As of this date, we have over 200 in support of leaving the school at the Oxford site. The SNA appreciates the efforts put forth by the 30 person district-wide task force. We hope that our petition will provide the task force with some useful information that will help them make a more informed discussion. Dr. Roger Woehl, Superintendent of West Linn-Wilsonville School District, (who was at our January 8th meeting), provided an update on the status of the bond issues. He stated that a lot of good ideas came out of the bond summit on February 9th. One proposal is to present a bond to the voters this fall, and another bond in four years.
The 2008 bond would include the following: • a primary school for Wilsonville • 500 student primary at the Erickson site • Other building maintenance • Money for community process to obtain public opinion regarding Sunset Primary School • Planning and designing of the future school Dr. Woehl, Jane Stickney (Assistant Superintendent of West Linn-Wilsonville school District), David Goode and Mary Furrow (school board members) answered several questions from the audience. Dr. Woehl will contact the president regarding the outcome of the April 21st bond summit meeting. The next school board meeting is April 14th - open to the public. For more information regarding the bond measures go to the district web site www.wlwv.k12.or.us , link called operations were you will find Capital Improvement Program, the Long Range Planning Committee, and the Sunset Task Force.
After the discussions, three motions were made, seconded, and passed: • The SNA supports leaving the Sunset School at the existing property at Oxford St. 16 to 8 • The school district is to include the SNA in the process of evaluating the move from the Oxford Street property. 25 to 0 • SNA request that the board inform us of their plans in the event they decide to dispose of the Oxford Street property.
3. Other: As of March 11, 2008, Vice President Mark Hanson resigned his office. We will hold our annual elections at our September meeting. If anyone is interested in being the vice president, please contact Doug Vokes, president. We thank Mark for his fine service, and the outstanding job he has done for us.
With no further business before the SNA, the President adjourned the meeting at 9:24pm. Next meeting will be held in May 13th at city hall. Respectfully submitted by Doreen Vokes, on behalf of Troy Bowers, Secretary of the SNA.
President, Doug Vokes 503-650-2072 firstname.lastname@example.org
Vice President, Mark Hanson 503-655-5247 MHansonagency@gmail.com