The library has a small collection of reference books covering the history of West Linn and surrounding areas, including information on McLean House and Park, Maddax Woods, historic structures in Clackamas County, and the Willamette Meteorite.
See our brochure which lists library resources on the history of West Linn, Clackamas County, Portland, and Oregon.
Resources for Further Research
- The West Linn Tidings is available on microfilm at the Wilsonville Library (1984-2004) and at the University of Oregon Library (1985-2008). The Portland Tribune website contains an archive of Tidings articles (2002-2011).
- A number of different newspapers have been published in Oregon City, Lake Oswego, and West Linn since the mid-1800s. Many of these are available on microfilm at the University of Oregon Library.
- The Oregonian is available as a searchable database (1987-present) with your Clackamas County library card. For years 1861-1987, the Multnomah County Library has the searchable Oregonian Historical Archive database. Microfilm for years 1937-present is available at the Lake Oswego Library.
- The Oregon Newspaper Project is a collaborative effort between Oregon's newspaper publishers and the University of Oregon Library to preserve and archive Oregon newspapers on microfilm.
- The University of Oregon's Historic Oregon Newspapers page has a number of pre-1922 newspaper articles available free online.
- The Oregon Index is a selective index of Oregon newspapers, and Oregon items in selected other publications. It does not contain full-text articles.
- The Historical Topographic Map Collection from the U.S. Geological Survey contains digitized copies of old topo maps from the USGS.
- The ORMAP Project allows you to search for taxlots in Oregon and download PDF copies of the assessors maps.
- The Oregon Maps collection contains a selection of digitized maps from the vast map collections of Oregon State University and University of Oregon.
- The Digital General Land Office Maps contains donation land claim maps that show the original settlement and ownership patterns in Oregon.
- The David Rumsey Map Collection contains more than 150,000 maps, 36,000 of which are available online. The collection focuses on rare 18th and 19th century maps of North and South America, although it also has maps of the World, Asia, Africa, Europe, and Oceania.