West Linn Budget Committee Unanimously Approves Fiscal Year 2008-2009 Budget
West Linn’s $41 million budget is balanced for the 2008 - 2009 fiscal year
The West Linn Budget Committee approved the fiscal year (FY) 2008-2009 budget for the City of West Linn on Wednesday, April 30, 2008. The City Manager first presented his proposed budget to the Budget Committee, and it was then unanimously approved without changes. The approved budget includes:
• Continued operations of all existing City services.
• No change in the number of City employees.
• $700,000 for wading pool and restroom upgrades at Willamette and Hammerle Parks. These upgrades are funded via grants and debt financing. • $1.5 million for land acquisition and design for a new West Linn Police Station. This project is funded via debt financing.
• $2.0 million for immediate street maintenance projects city-wide. These projects are funded via debt financing.
• Funding for capital projects in the water, sewer, and stormwater operations to replace and restore infrastructure and provide maintenance as required.
• Continued support for City communications and outreach to citizens.
• Continued support of Neighborhood Associations and community groups.
The West Linn Budget Committee is comprised of the City Council and five citizen members. The State of Oregon requires citizen participation in the budget approval process. Citizen members provide citizen oversight, and serve in the chair and vice-chair capacities. All Budget Committee votes are equal, and majority support of the Budget Committee is required for budget approval. The Budget Committee deliberated over two days before unanimously approving the FY 2009 budget. Next, the approved budget is subject to adoption by the City Council at the budget hearing scheduled for June 23, 2008.
Look for the “West Linn FY 2009 Budget Overview” insert in the June 5, 2008 edition of the West Linn Tidings newspaper. An overview of the FY 2009 budget will be published in the June 5, 2008 edition of the West Linn Tidings newspaper. The FY 2009 budget is also available online. Citizens are invited to schedule an appointment at City Hall to learn more about the FY 2009 budget and to ask questions about the budget document. Please call 503-657-0331 to schedule a time to learn more about budgeting in West Linn.
Questions? If you have questions about City affairs, please contact City Hall at 503-657-0331 or visit the City web site at www.ci.west-linn.or.us